Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Problem #12 Ring Expansion

Hey guys!  I've completed the ring expansion problem from class today (yesterday?).  I highly recommend completing it, since it took me a few moments to figure it out.  I am also currently working on (in the program, I've completed them already) the solutions to Problem #11 for those that don't have the solution manual.

It has to deal with the alcohol as a leaving group, what we've been going over the past few days.  It utilizes the method of protonating the alcohol, turning it into water (a better leaving group).  

I also wonder if anybody else got a different way to do it, please let me know!


2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Good work using ChemDraw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed that I did the same problem as you. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete